Wednesday 14 September 2011

MTGO Drafting... It's an Addiction!

I have a busy life, so can't always make it to draft with "real people". BUT, I love Magic, and sometimes want to play when I have free time and others aren't available. What can I do?

MTGO (Magic the Gathering Online) draft, of course!

I totally need rehab!

Back in the day I used to draft on MTGO quite a bit. Well, I guess that's an overstatement. I drafted hardcore for 2 weeks or so then never touched MTGO again. It was too easy to come home, play until it was time to sleep, go to work, come home to play again, sleep, work, draft, etc. That turned into my routine, which I guess isn't bad, but was hardly as fulfilling as I know life can be.

Yes, there ARE worse things I could be doing with my time. I could be addicted to heroin, gambling, a gang member, out cheating on my GF with randoms, drinking heavily, slumming it downtown, panhandling, loitering, at a strip club, surfing for beastiality pictures, playing Farmville on Facebook, watching Dragon Ball Z, dressing up as a woman and turning tricks on Richmond street, tweeting (@psilence6k), or even (dare I say it?) playing World of Warcraft.

I suppose when you compare MTGO to any of the above, it actually seems like the pass time of scholars and diplomats, doesn't it? Lol.

But because of the time trap it can set up, and the negative stereotypes associated with it, I understand why some people have a less-than-stellar opinion of MTGO / Magic in general. If you remember one of my previous articles (Finkel, OKCupid & Gizmodo) Magic can even make or break a relationship! SO BE MINDFUL OF YOUR PRIORITIES!

************************

I guess the reason I'm writing this is because I've recently started drafting online again, and am really enjoying it! Maybe this article will help to keep me grounded and prevent me from going overboard, serving as a reminder to get outside and enjoy the last of summer before I'm stuck inside in hibernation mode for the winter? Perhaps it's written in an attempt to justify my lust to draft by presenting "worst case" scenarios which make it seem as though it's not the time / money consuming machine MTGO was designed to be?

OR was it written just to showcase the fact that last night I played a T1 Goblin Arsonist, T2 Goblin Sharpshooter, T3 Goblin Chieftain with a Goblin Grenade and Adaptive Automation still in deck ready to be drawn? :P

The jury is still out on that one!

Cheers,
Carl

2 comments:

  1. FYI tonights the 3rd night of magic in a row....after an ALL MTG WEEEKEND YAY! This is consuming 80% of your free time and you NON MTG playing friends are starting to see this as a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... I'm glad you miss me Presto! <3 Although, weren't you THERE with Dobbs and I as we drafted? You witnessed my untimely demise on Wednesday! :P Doesn't that count as "hang-out" time? We'll have to watch "Jersey Shore" on Thursday to make up for it! haha

    ReplyDelete